Callaway Plantation, a historic restoration project, offers a glimpse into the by-gone era of the agricultural South when working plantations speckled the land. Telling the intimate story of one family's legacy, visitors to Callaway Plantation, can see, feel & touch 200 years of Wilkes County history.
Callaway Plantation humbly began with a log cabin in 1785 built by Job Callaway and grew to a 3,000 acre working plantation complete with a brick mansion by the 1860's. The property has been passed down through the Callaway Family since its inception and in the 1980's was given as a gift by the Callaway Family to the City of Washington.
Special highlights at Callaway include:
The Brick House - This brick Greek Revival style mansion was built with Georgia red clay. Parker Callaway started the building process and Aristides Callaway completed it in 1869. The Callaway family lived in the Brick House between 1869-1910. The house has never been modernized so it contains no indoor plumbing or electricity and it is decorated to reflect the grandeur of time period when the plantation thrived. Many antiques within the brick house are original to the house.
The Log Cabin c. 1785 - Job Callaway's original log cabin burned down, but a log cabin similar in layout & design was moved from the Heard Plantation in Danburg, Wilkes County, Georgia to Callaway to serve as an example of the type of dwelling that Job Callaway had built. The log cabin represents a one room cabin with a sleeping loft and is decorated with primitive antique tools and household items of the late 18th century.
The Grey House c. 1790 - Built by Jacob Callaway. This was their second residence on the Plantation and was occupied until the Brick House was built. The Grey House is also decorated with period antiques and serves as an excellent example of Federal Plain Style architecture.
The School House c. 1871 - This one room schoolhouse was built in Wilkes County and serves as a fine example of rural schoolhouses seen throughout Georgia at the turn of the century.
The Dally Cabin c. 1840 - The Dally Cabin is an original slave cabin that was moved to Callaway from Social Circle, Georgia.
The General Store c. 1930 - The General Store was built by Howard Jackson at Jackson Crossroads. It was moved to Callaway to serve as the gift shop and information headquarters. Carrying a variety of period gifts for all ages, the gift store also contains a variety of books for sale pertaining to the history of the area and the Callaway family.
Callaway Plantation is open from 10am - 5pm. Guided tours are available at 10am, 12pm, 2pm, and 3:30pm. Guests are welcome to come to the plantation and look around at the out buildings, but tours will be on the above timed schedule. A small fee is charged for admission, and school groups and specialty tours are encouraged. Callaway is host to several special events throughout the year including the annual Mule Day Festival, held every October, and is featured on the Washington-Wilkes Christmas Tour of Homes every December.
The plantation is located 5 miles west of Washington on Highway 78, across from the Washington-Wilkes Airport. Picnic area and RV Campsites are available on-site. Please call for more information.
Lexington Avenue - Highway 78
Washington, GA 30673
Toll Free: 877-221-7689